Auto Insurance Information
We work hard for you to provide the best personal insurance coverage at competitive rates!
Proudly providing insurance to Pennsylvania, Maryland and DC!
What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses, as defined in your policy.
Auto insurance provides coverage such as, but not limited to property, liability and medical coverage:
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- First Party Benefit coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries and rehabilitation. Depending on the options you choose, sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
An auto insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all. If you're financing a car, your lender may also have requirements. Lenders typically require you to carry both comprehensive and collision coverage. If it is a leased vehicle, they may require comprehensive and collision along with some additional endorsements to cover parts directly from the manufacturer and not after market.
Most auto policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Why do you need auto insurance?
It's really all about protecting yourself financially.
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- What do you use your vehicle for? If you use your vehicle for deliveries, transporting others, or for some businesses, you may not qualify for a personal auto policy. You may need to discuss a commercial auto policy. Your agent will help you determine your eligibility and will guide you to the correct type of policy.
- How much coverage can you have for what you are able to afford? You may be purchasing a vehicle and have to consider the lender's monthly payment amount in addition to your insurance payment. Financing or leasing a vehicle will require you to carry more coverage than the state would require. To help keep premiums low, you may want to choose a higher deductible. You will have to be willing to pay more out of your pocket to the garage for the repairs. Our agents will do their best to give you the right coverage at the best price available.
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims? The stronger the financial rating of an insurance company, the more likely it is to be around when you need it the most. For example, an A rated carrier will not experience financial failure in uncertain and trying times and be able to cover your claims as you expect them to. We only provide coverage with quality carriers that are rated A or higher.
- What discounts are available? Discount options vary between carriers. Many agents provide a discount on all homeowners, auto, and life insurance policies if more than one policy is written through the same carrier. Some uncommon discounts worth mentioning are the good student discount, if you've taken a senior citizen defensive driver course, if you will opt in for a plug in telematics devices for measuring safe driving or an app on your smart phone that does the same. Some carriers will give you a discount if you go "paperless" and have all documentation sent to you electronically and others will discount for paying in full for the term or having monthly amounts drafted directly from your checking account.
- What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
Thank you for your interest in Good & Associates. With three locations we are able to offer our services beyond Claysburg, DuBois, & Indiana. We are able to help people in Altoona, Roaring Spring and many other hometowns surrounding our locations. Call us today at 800-689-8887 to learn more!